Premier League - 'Constructive' talks follow Odemwingie row

West Brom say they have held "constructive" talks with Peter Odemwingie following his bizarre transfer deadline day actions.

The 31-year-old striker had been a target of QPR throughout January and had repeatedly voiced his displeasure at not being allowed to leave. However, when he drove to London and addressed a media scrum talking about a move to Rangers, it appeared a deal was on the table.

But Albion quickly released a statement saying Odemwingie was there without permission and QPR confirmed it, saying they had stopped him from getting into their Loftus Road ground. And a statement from Albion read: "Odemwingie was never given permission to speak to QPR about a potential move."

Odemwingie hit out at his current club in an interview with Sky Sports News on Friday morning and subsequently held talks at the training ground before it was decided he would play no part in the weekend's game against Tottenham.

A club statement said: "Albion confirm that Peter Odemwingie reported for training this morning. The player met with board members Dan Ashworth and Richard Garlick and head coach Steve Clarke for preliminary discussions, which proved constructive.

"After the events of the past week, the club decided it is in the best interests of all parties that Peter is not involved in Sunday’s game and he was given permission to return home."

In his interview with Sky Sports News, Odemwingie admitted he was perhaps a "little unprofessional" but defended himself by claming the circumstances were not so different to when he joined West Brom from Lokomotiv Moscow in 2010. He also put Thursday's events down to a misunderstanding.

"I came to this club (West Brom) in a wholly unprofessional way. I wasn't given any written permission by Lokomotiv Moscow but I arrived at this club. I did a medical, I don't think everything went so professional when I arrived," he said.

Clarifying his comments, he said: "I'm saying that these things don't matter so much when adults are dealing with each other.

"I think there was a misunderstanding somewhere because I could have held my goodbyes to the (West Brom) players if I was told it is not going to happen."

Odemwingie felt he had been given the go-ahead from West Brom to complete his move to QPR, but conceded he did not have written permission. He said: "They (West Brom) didn't give me written permission, but you know we are in England and when you're gentlemen you understand each other so easily.

"In my opinion, everything was done right and at the last moment, I don't know what really happened, but I think other people can answer this question as well.

"We were almost there, the club were angry that I went there and it was on TV. They weren't angry that I went there, but when it came up on TV that's when they said that this deal is off and why did I do that. So I understand the club to be honest, it was a bit unprofessional but we all know our positions and we were almost there."

West Brom's statement on Thursday night said: "Albion can confirm that no agreement was reached with QPR over the transfer of Peter Odemwingie before the closure of the January window and that the striker remains under contract at The Hawthorns.

"The club were extremely disappointed to witness TV footage of Odemwingie arriving at Loftus Road on Thursday evening despite further talks between the two Barclays Premier League sides proving fruitless."

Chairman Jeremy Peace added that the matter had become a point of principle and warned Odemwingie that he had to get his head around seeing out the last 18 months of his contract at the Hawthorns.

"The evening's developments have brought a conclusion to what has been an unsavoury affair," he said. "As our sporting and technical director (designate) Richard Garlick has repeatedly said in recent days, we had no need or desire to sell our core players.

"The only way we would have considered letting Peter leave was if an acceptable offer was forthcoming and if we had found a suitable replacement at relatively short notice.

"Neither materialised and, in the end, the matter became a point of principle as much as anything.

"Peter has acted wholly unprofessionally. He must now accept the fact he remains under contract for a further 18 months and has to focus on his Albion commitments."

On Friday morning, Harry Redknapp said: "This deal had been dragging on for about three weeks. Peter Odemwingie was a player we had been trying to sign for several weeks.

"He felt a deal was done but it wasn't done between the two clubs. There were obviously one or two sticking points.

"He travelled down and just wanted to be on the premises to get the deal done. Unfortunately, he pulled up outside the ground and the cameras were there.

"He wasn't the only player that turned up and didn't get a deal done. There were other players at football grounds and the deals didn't go through at the last minute, for whatever reasons.

"I just hope the boy is going to be okay because he is a good person and it was a mistake that has been made. Hopefully he can move on from that."