Premier League - Loic Remy will not face rape charge

Newcastle United striker Loic Remy will face no further action over allegations that he was involved in a gang rape.

Remy, 27, was arrested and bailed with two other men in May 2013 after a woman told police she had been attacked in Fulham, West London.

Remy was at Queens Park Rangers at the time, from whom he is on loan to Newcastle.

"Officers from [sex crime unit] Sapphire investigated an allegation of rape on 6 May in the Fulham area," the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

"The allegation was passed on to the Metropolitan Police Service by Kent Police on 8 May after the 34-year-old female victim reported it to them the previous day.

"The victim alleged she was raped by three men.

"On the morning of Wednesday 15 May, three men aged 26, 23 and 22, were arrested at an address in Fulham on suspicion of rape. They were taken into custody at a West London police station and all three men were bailed pending further inquiries.

"On February 13, and following consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service, the three men were informed that no further action would be taken against them."

Remy always denied the allegations. The France striker is set to return from a three-match ban for his dismissal against Norwich.