Formula 1 - 'Nobody to blame' for crash that put Schumacher in coma

The investigation into former Formula 1 champion Michael Schumacher's skiing accident has now been closed.

AutoSport
Formula 1 - Schumacher 'showing moments of consciousness and awakening'
.

View photo

Michael Schumacher

A probe was launched last month following the seven-time champion's accident in the French Alps at the end of December.

Speculation in papers across Europe over the last few days has focused on the theory that the headcam being worn by Schumacher at the time of his crash may have contributed to the severity of his injuries.

But Albertville prosecutor Patrick Quincy, the man in charge of the investigation, appeared to close the issue of reciminations on Monday as he confirmed that, "no person has been found guilty of any violation."

"The investigation into the causes and consequences of the December 29 skiing accident of Michael Schumacher ... has been closed on February 12," said Quincy in a statement.

"The accident took place in an off-piste area," the prosecutor's statement added.

"Signalling, demarcation and information given on the limits of the piste were in line with the French standards,."

Schumacher underwent two operations and has been in a coma since the crash.

Doctors in the Grenoble hospital where Schumacher is being treated said at the end of last month that they were starting the waking up process.

No further updates on Schumacher's condition have been released since then.

F1 teams showed their support for Schumacher during the recent Jerez tests, with Ferrari creating a special pitboard (pictured) and Mercedes running the message '#KeepFightingMichael' on its cars.

View Comments