Ligue 1 - Jeunechamp appeals ban for hitting reporter

Montpellier defender Cyril Jeunechamp is appealing against a one-year ban for hitting a reporter after a Ligue 1 game last month.

"Cyril Jeunechamp has decided to appeal his one-year ban," Montpellier said in a statement on their website (www.mhscfoot.com)

The French Football League said after a meeting of its disciplinary committee this month that the sanction would take effect from Monday.

Jeunechamp, 37, had already been suspended indefinitely after the argument with a L'Equipe reporter over a story published in the newspaper before the 1-1 league draw at Valenciennes.

Champions Montpellier apologised to the reporter and condemned their player's behaviour.