Championship - Phillips stars as QPR go top of the league

Matt Phillips scored one and made one as QPR moved to the top of the Championship with a 2-0 win over Blackpool.

Phillips, who previously played for the Seasiders, opened the scoring with a well-struck shot from outside the penalty area.

The forward then turned creator teeing up Charlie Austin who headed home from close range.

Danny Ings enhanced his growing reputation as his 16th goal of the season ensured Burnley a 1-1 draw with Leicester.

Ings, rumoured to be a transfer target for Premier League clubs next month, scored Burnley's equaliser right at the start of the second half to keep the Clarets at the summit ahead of the Saturday afternoon kick-offs.

It looked like Leicester would jump from third to first place after David Nugent scored against his former club from the penalty spot early on at the King Power Stadium.

Leicester missed a couple of chances to extend their lead as the half-time whistle approached. Ings then volleyed wide from the right-hand side of the area. He made no such mistake at the start of the second half, though.

Burnley were level just 90 seconds after the restart as the Leicester defence allowed Trippier's cross to bounce inside the box and Ings contolled the ball on his chest before guiding a shot past the helpless Kasper Schmeichel from eight yards out.

Barnsley's clash with Yeovil at Oakwell ended all square as the hosts failed to move off the bottom of the table.

Joel Grant nudged the visitors ahead after just ten minutes and they could have gone further behind before the half-time whistle, only for Jack Butland to keep the score at 1-0.

Marcus Tudgay levelled the scores ten minutes prior to the break, converting from the spot after Byron Webster brought down Tomasz Cywka in the area.

Blackburn ran out 3-2 winners against Millwall in what was the day's most exciting match in the Championship.

Jordan Rhodes opened the scoring after 20 minutes before Martin Waghorn pulled his side level three minutes before the break.

Ben Marshall headed the hosts back in front moments after the break, and the game seemed to be put to bed late on as David Dunn got on the scoresheet, converting Grant Hanley's clever cross.

However, the home fans were made to fret as Steve Morison grabbed a late goal. It proved to be a consolation, though, as the hosts held out for the win.

Birmingham moved further away from the relegation zone with a comfortable 2-0 win over Bournemouth.

The visitors took the lead after just two minutes when Oliver Lees drilled cross was turned in by Andrew Shinnie from two yards.

The game was put to bed on the half-hour mark as Nikola Zigic produced neat footwork inside the penalty to drill the ball past the helpless Lee Camp.

Derby continued their fine run of form with another win over Charlton.

The Rams now lie fourth in the Championship table, three points behind second-placed Burnley thanks to goals from Jamie Ward and Craig Bryson.

Leeds moved into the play-off places with a comfortable 3-0 victory over a very poor Doncaster Rovers side.

Matt Smith headed the visitors ahead after 18 minutes as the hosts struggled to create anything going forward.

Leeds rarely looked like conceding and added to their lead with 15 minutes to play, Ross McCormack smashing the ball into the back of the net from six yards following some good play down the right.

And with just moments left to play the visitors added their third when Rodolph Austin converted McCormack's wicked cross.

Reading did their promotion credentials the world of good with a nervy 1-0 win over Huddersfield Town.

Billy Sharp's cracking header separated the two sides as the Royals moved up to fifth.

Brighton moved to within two points of the play-off zone with a well-fought 1-0 win over Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium.

Matthew Upson netted a late winner, converting Craig Conway's whipped corner.

Watford suffered yet another league defeat as Gianfranco Zola's men drop further down the table, this time losing at home to bottom side Sheffield Wednesday.

Connor Wickham netted after 24 minutes as the Owls moved to within one point of safety.

In the league's other game, Nottingham Forest and Ipswich played out a goalless draw at the City Ground.