Premier League - Mancini: Balotelli 'throwing' career away

Roberto Mancini has accused Mario Balotelli of risking his career by refusing to adopt a professional attitude to life at Manchester City.

It has been alleged that Balotelli's car was surrounded by Manchester United fans as he tried to leave the Etihad Stadium following Sunday's 3-2 defeat to the Red Devils.

Although the Italy striker was not threatened, it was not the only time he was abused by supporters, only earlier it had been his own fans attacking him for making his way straight down the tunnel after he had been replaced by Carlos Tevez.

And after another tepid performance in a largely disappointing campaign, Mancini has warned the 22-year-old time is running out for him to start accepting the responsibilities that come with his status.

"I love Mario but it is important for him to start to think about his job," the City boss said.

"He has everything to play well but he can't continue to play like today. We wanted more from him.

"When you have a player that has Mario's quality, you cannot understand why he continues to throw it out of the window. It is incredible.

"I have seen players in my life with fantastic quality. But in the end, they did nothing. I don't want Mario to finish like these players. It would be bad for him."

Balotelli's agent, Mino Raiola, was adamant that his client would still be with City at the beginning of February, however.

"Absolutely [he will]," Raiola said. "You can ask me the question another 400 times and it will always be the same answer."