Premier League - Sunderland secure safety against West Brom
- 90+3'Lee Mason blows for full time, cue celebrations on the pitch and in the stands.
- 90+2'Bridcutt does well to prevent a West Brom corner and instead wins a throw in under pressure.
- 90+1'West Brom are trying to gain some ground in the Sunderland half but with every home player behind the ball they're not making much progress.
- 90'Three minutes of added time to be played.
- 89'The home fans are on their feet and making a lot of noise as we enter the final minute of the game.
- 88'A Morrison effort from distance is straight at Mannone and he puts two hands behind the ball to save well.
- Sunderland Substitution
- 87'Anichebe comes deep to collect the ball and West Brom attack. Brunt crosses from the left and Mannone fails to collect, almost dropping the ball into hiw own goal before parrying clear.
- 86'Sunderland make their final change of the evening in the pouring rain, replacing Cattermole with Giaccherini.
- 85'Borini loses possession to Mulumbu before O'Shea steams in and powers the ball forward in the general direction of Altidore.
- 84'The game has slowed right down in the knowledge that Sunderland have the game almost sewn up and both sides look safe from relegation.
- 83'Vydra is called offside on the left wing. Mannone pushes his defenders up field and takes the free kick.
- 82'Cattermole returns to the field of play eager to see out the final minutes of the game.
- 81'Cattermole is complaining about his right ankle, after it looked like he was clipped by Lugano. He limps off the pitch to a rousing standing ovation and continues to receive treatment.
- 80'Altidore sends Cattermole in towards goal but the midfielder gets the ball under his feet before firing his shot into the ankles of McAuley and going down injured.
- 79'Altidore awakens the Sunderland fans from their slumber by nicking the ball off Dorrans and then outmuscling Mulumbu to have a run at goal.
- 78'Brunt's free kick, central and 30 yards from goal, is straight into the Sunderland wall.
- West Bromwich Albion Substitution
- 77'Lugano is fouled by Borini and West Brom are given another chance to pile forward. O'Shea leads with a high boot allowing West Brom another free kick higher upfield.
- 76'A spell of West Brom pressure results in a failed cross by Dawson and a throw in. Sunderland showing less and less urgency to force the ball upfield and getting deeper into their own half.
- 75'West Brom make their third and final sub, replacing Berahino with Matej Vydra.
- 74'Brown's defensive header falls to Sessegnon who takes a touch before shooting but the optimistic half-volley is wide.
- 73'McAuley is fouled by Altidore and West Brom have the chance to put the ball into the Sunderland box.
- 72'Larsson sends a searching ball towards Colback who is haring into the West Brom half but Lugano beats him to the ball and shields the ball back to Foster.
- 71'Dorrans' cross into the box from the right wing is hooked away by the head of Brown and Alonso prevents the corner before clearing.
- 70'As it stands Sunderland remain cautious having been under the cosh for the majority of the second half against a resurgent West Brom, but a third goal would seal the points.
- 69'Larsson lays off Borini who spins and presents Vergini with the chance to shoot across goal but the defender's shot is wide. A massive let off for West Brom.
- 68'Larsson attempts an effort from outside the area which is blocked.
- 67'Sunderland win a free kick on the halfway line but are happy to knock the ball backwards and build patiently than go direct.
- 66'Dorrans sends the ball spinning well over the bar with the outside of his foot to loud cheers.
- 65'Borini is penalised after being adjudged to handle the ball outside of the Sunderland penalty area. Free kick to West Brom.
- 64'Sunderland fight back and Colback manages to squeeze the ball across goal for Altidore to tap in but the American striker bundles the ball wide.
- 63'Sessegnon drives forward and opens the target up for himself by outmuscling Alonso but he drags his shot wide of the post.
- 62'Double sub for Sunderland: Johnson replaced by Bridcutt in order to shore up the midfield, and Altidore comes on for Wickham to present a powerful presence in attack.
- Sunderland Substitution
- Sunderland Substitution
- 61'Berahino has a pop from the left side of the area but Mannone has his near post covered and watches the ball harmlessly wide.
- 60'Bridcutt and Altidore are being readied to enter the fray for Sunderland. Poyet obviously unhappy with the way West Brom are getting a foothold in this game.
- 59'West Brom push Sunderland back again but Mulumbu hits a half shot half pass from the edge of the box which Mannone gathers up gratefully.
- 58'Wickham concedes a free kick just inside the West Brom half which Foster comes forward to take but he gives possession straight to Alonso.
- 57'Somewhat frustratingly the Baggies follow that chance up with a sliced effort from distance from Sessegnon.
- 56'Mulumbu does well to release Dawson who plays a pacy ball across the goalmouth but Anichebe can't connect. Finally a chance but it is wasted again.
- 55'West Brom are enjoying a spell of possession but with so many Sunderland players goal side they are continuing to find it hard to fashion any kind of chance.
- 54'Sunderland have racked up 35 points this season (excluding tonight). Only 11 of those against sides in the bottom half of the table.
- 53'Dorrans and Brunt combine well on the left allowing Brunt to cross but Mannone gathers unobstructed.
- 52'Shots on target: Sunderland 4 - 1 West Brom
- 51'West Brom look uncomfortable and hurried whenever they are in possession in the final third.
- 50'Sessegnon does well to find a cross on the right wing which is aimed at Anichebe but with his back to goal he can't create anything.
- 49'Berahino is found in room on the byline but his touch is heavy and the ball rolls out for a Sunderland goal kick.
- 48'Sunderland win a throw in an attacking position when the ball is wrongly adjudged to have gone out of play off McAuley.
- 47'Dawson crosses from the right and finds Anichebe in space but the striker fails to connect and the chance goes begging.
- 46'West Brom make a positive start but find the Sunderland box blocked off by defenders and can't find the final pass to open the opposition up.
- West Bromwich Albion Substitution
- West Bromwich Albion Substitution
- 45+2'Sunderland win a late corner which comes to nothing and the referee blows for half time.
- 45+1'Colback loses the ball to Yacob who plays in Sessegnon but Cattermole dives in and wins the ball back.
- 45'West Brom make two subs, sacrificing Reid and Yacob for Mulumbu and Dawson.
- -We're back underway at the Stadium of Light, with West Brom's players looking somewhat lethargic as they trooped out for the second half.
- -HALF TIME: Sunderland 2-0 West Brom
- 45'Sunderland seem content to knock the ball around casually and see out the half in possession.
- 44'Two minutes of added time to be played.
- 43'A number of step-overs from Johnson is squared to Borini whose shot is ineffective and Foster saves easily.
- 42'A Cattermole slip allows West Brom to pour forward, Sessegnon finds Berahino whose angled effort forces Mannone to make a diving save, his first action of the game.
- 41'The West Brom defence is creeping higher up the pitch which could prove dangerous on this wet surface.
- 40'Sunderland are allowing the visitors no room to muster anything meaningful in attack.
- 39'West Brom enjoy a sustained spell of possession around the edge of the Sunderland box but look toothless and fail to create any real danger.
- 38'The corner comes to nothing but Vergini is given a rousing round of applause as he breaks up the West Brom counter with a full-blooded challenge.
- 37'Sunderland go straight back on the attack as play resumes and Vergini tries to find Johnson on the right wing before Lugano goes straight through him to give the hosts a corner.
- 36'Borini stays down with a head injury after losing out on a header to Reid. He's receiving treatment while there is a break in play.
- 35'Vito Mannone has been very underworked in the Sunderland goal so far this evening, despite his two centre-backs seeing plenty of the ball.
- 34'Brunt puts a long ball forward into the box which Anichebe does well to flick on with his head but Sunderland clear comfortably.
- 33'The tempo of the game has risen dramatically since that second goal. A very important goal for Norwich as well as the teams on the field.
- 32'Suddenly West Brom have snapped into life and have a spring about their game which won't allow Sunderland to take their foot off the gas.
- 31'Foster drops the corner, somewhat calamitously, but quickly gathers at the second attempt.
- Sunderland Goal
Right Footed - Bottom Left
- 30'Sunderland pile forward again and Alonso delivers a cross towards the back post which Brunt is forced to turn behind for a corner.
- 29'GOAL! Larsson receives the ball outside the area from Borini who continues his run into the area and picks up the return pass in front of Foster where he is left with the simple task of touching it into the net. Sunderland take a commanding lead.
- 28'Yacob's stray pass is picked up by Colback who tries to play Borini through but he can't quite manage it.
- 27'As it stands Sunderland will secure their Premier League safety after being bottom of the table at Christmas. The only other team to do that was West Brom in 2005.
- 26'McAuley stands up well to cut out a fine run from Colback after Borini threads a clever ball through.
- 25'Sunderland players, Borini and Colback, both try to find room for a shot before diverting the ball out wide where Wickham has room for an effort but it is high and wide over the crowded penalty area.
- 24'A high challenge from Sessegnon floors Borini and gives Sunderland a free kick and the chance to build another attacking move.
- 23'Lugano looks long for Anichebe, who wants it short, but the Uruguayan puts his foot through the ball and fires it straight out of play. Wasteful.
- 22'From that clearance Sunderland counter and Johnson cuts in from the right before crossing only to see Reid come inside and cut out the danger.
- 21'Sunderland desperately clear through Brown after Berahino finally finds some space on the right wing and delivers a fine low cross.
- 20'Alonso's ball to Borini catches the Italian off-guard and West Brom regain possession. Yacob carries the ball out from the back but is fouled by Larsson.
- 19'Anichebe and Sessegnon have begun to show more appetite closing down Brown and O'Shea, who, when you think about it, could be susceptible to that pressure.
- 18'The Baggies fail to cross the ball into the box but retain possession in the Sunderland half before Reid tries to switch the ball from right to left and kicks it out of play.
- 17'West Brom send a ball long and high into the box which Wes Brown heads away and Colback eventually puts the ball out of play for a West Brom throw.
- 16'Possession: Sunderland 61% - 39% West Brom
- 15'The key to Sunderland's fantastic start has been Borini's ability to drag Reid in field allowing Alonso to bomb forward from left back which leaves Berahino exposed.
- 14'Cattermole shows tidy feet in the centre circle to first win possession for Sunderland before being scythed down by James Morrison who is spoken to by referee Lee Mason.
- 13'Meanwhile, in the stands the fans are in raucous mood as Sunderland continue their fine form of late.
- Sunderland Goal
Right Footed - Top Left
- 12'Sunderland are straight back on the offensive with Borini giving right-back Reid a torrid time and winning a throw high up the pitch.
- 11'GOAL! Sunderland take the lead through Jack Colback after Alonso's left wing cross is poked home from close range.
- 10'The ball breaks back out to the right wing where Borini does well to fashion a cross but Foster gathers the ball easily unchallenged.
- 9'Larsson lobs it into the box but McAuley clears for a Sunderland throw next to the corner spot which Wickham takes long into the box.
- 8'Sunderland win a free kick in a good range of goal after Reid forcefully brings down Borini 30 yards from goal.
- 7'Larsson takes the corner for Sunderland and it fizzes along the six-yard line but evades everyone, despite plenty of attackers and defenders going for it. That looked like the kind of ball that would have needed just a touch to be put in the goal.
- 6'Alonso on the left wing plays the ball in field to Borini who makes the most of the room he is afforded to have a fierce shot from outside the area which Foster does well to tip over. Corner to Sunderland.
- 5'Both sides are having trouble getting their foot on the ball and having to measure their passes in line with the pitch here, which is very wet. It has been raining a lot in the North East.
- 4'Sunderland have made a point of looking for Johnson on the right wing several times when they have been in possession already, but Brunt has stuck close to him and not allowed him any room to conjure a chance.
- 3'West Brom are quite happy for Sunderland to bring the ball out of defence and don't seem intent on pressing. Quite novel for the Premier League these days.
- 2'Very few nerves on display from either side as Cattermole hoofs the ball forward in search of Adam Johnson but the winger can't control the ball on the slippery turf and West Brom have a goal kick.
- 1'Referee Lee Mason blows the whistle and Sunderland get us underway at a very bubbly Stadium of Light.
- 19.40Also in West Brom’s favour is Sunderland form against the lesser teams. While they have gone to United and Chelsea and won, and also drawn at City, Poyet’s side have won only twice in 16 attempts against sides in the bottom half of the table.
- 19.35Mel also has reason to be quietly confident of stopping Sunderland’s fine run tonight. The Baggies have won seven and drawn one of their last eight league games against the Black Cats, scoring 22 times in the process.
- 19.30West Brom boss Pepe Mel is rightly respectful of Sunderland’s achievement in looking like they can beat the drop: "What they've done is completely unexpected. No-one thought Sunderland would be able to do that, but they have shown they've great mental strength. They fully deserve to stay up.”
- 19.25The Black Cats come into the game unbeaten in four, having won at Manchester United and Chelsea, drawn at Manchester City and having beaten Cardiff 4-0. That's some form. West Brom's form is slightly less formidable but the draw against Tottenham and win against West Ham has seen them almost limp over the line to another top-flight campaign.
- 19.20A win for Sunderland or West Brom this evening would mathematically ensure their Premier League survival. A draw would virtually relegate Norwich, who need a massive goal difference swing to realistically stand a chance of beating the drop. To put it in plainer terms; the Canaries need a miracle.
- 19.15Sunderland striker Connor Wickham, the Premier League Player of the Month, has five goals in his last four games, including a brace at Manchester City and and a goal in the crucial victory at Stamford Bridge. Be afraid Baggies!
- 19.05TEAMS: Sunderland: Mannone, Vergini, Alonso, Brown, O'Shea, Cattermole, Colback, Larsson, Johnson, Borini, Wickham. SUBS: Bardsley, Altidore, Ba, Giaccherini, Bridcutt, Scocco, Ustari. /// West Brom: Foster, Reid, McAuley, Lugano, Brunt, Berahino, Yacob, Morrison, Dorrans, Sessegnon, Anichebe. SUBS: Myhill, Dawson, Sinclair, Vydra, Mulumbu, Olsson, O’Neil.
- 19.00Hello and welcome to our LIVE coverage of Wednesday night's Premier League clash between Sunderland and Norwich from the Stadium of Light. Kick-off is 19.45 BST.
West Bromwich Albion
|Team Manager:||Dick Advocaat|
|Team Manager:||Tony Pulis|
Players Sub Time