US Open - Injured Del Potro enters US Open

Reuters - Thu, 22 Jul 17:43:00 2010

US Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro could defend his title next month after making a quicker than expected recovery from injury.

- 0

The Argentine underwent wrist surgery earlier this year but may make a surprise return at Flushing Meadow.

The US Tennis Association said that Del Petro had been included on the list of entrants for the event which starts on August 30.

"Juan Martin Del Potro ... is expected to return to Grand Slam competition after missing the French Open and Wimbledon earlier this year," the USTA said in a statement.

The Argentine beat†Roger Federer†in five sets in 2009 to capture his first Grand Slam title but this season has been ruined by his wrist problem.

Del Potro played in the Australian Open but pulled out of a series of tournaments after that and announced in May he was undergoing surgery and would almost certainly miss the three remaining Grand Slams.

Reuters

Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account