The race was abandoned on Sunday as red flags came out for the third time while Kazuki Nakajima was leading the way in the Toyota TS030 Hybrid, with co-drivers Nicolas Lapierre and Alex Wurz not even getting behind the wheel.
In second place was the championship-leading Audi being driven by Loic Duval, with Allan McNish and Tom Kristensen left in the pits throughout.
The race was initially red-flagged half-way round the opening lap due to the torrential rain, though not before pole-sitter Andre Lotterer decided to pull into the pits to try and cure an engine pick-up problem.
That decision ended up costing him victory: the race was restarted twice, with eight laps completed each time, but only behind the safety car.
All drivers are expected to collect points whether or not they drove in the weather-affected race, while the result means that Audi clinch the constructors' title with two events left to come.
Results - 16 laps:
Pos Cl Drivers Team/Car Time/Gap
1. P1 Wurz/Lapierre/Nakajima Toyota 2h56m05.785
2. P1 Kristensen/Duval/McNish Audi +1.901
3. P1 Belicchi/Beche Rebellion Lola-Toyota +1.971
4. P2 Baguette/Gonzalez/Plowman OAK Morgan-Nissan +2.259
5. P2 Rusinov/Martin/Conway Delta-ADR ORECA-Nissan +2.093
6. P2 Hiranaka/Ueda/Wirdheim Greaves Zytek-Nissan +2.831
7. P2 Pla/Heinemeier Hansson/Brundle OAK Morgan-Nissan +12.834
8. P2 Graves/Walker/Nakano Delta-ADR ORECA-Nissan +15.323
9. P2 Bradley/Koizumi/Matsuda KCMG Morgan-Nissan +19.569
10. P2 Perez Companc/Minassian/Kaffer Pecom ORECA-Nissan +21.494
11. P2 Holzer/Kraihamer/Charouz Lotus +23.803
12. P2 Nicolet/Ihara OAK Morgan-Nissan +35.657
13. GTE P Turner/Mucke/Makowiecki Aston Martin +38.900
14. GTE P Bruni/Fisichella AF Ferrari +41.944
15. GTE P Bergmeister/Pilet Manthey Porsche +44.855
16. GTE P Lieb/Lietz Manthey Porsche +55.311
17. GTE A Nygaard/Poulsen/Senna Aston Martin +57.668
18. GTE A Hall/Campbell-Walter/Adam Aston Martin +1:01.641
19. GTE A Ried/Roda/Ruberti Proton Porsche +1:03.537
20. GTE A Potolicchio/Aguas/Rigon 8Star Ferrari +1:05.951
21. GTE P Kobayashi/Vilander AF Ferrari +1:15.544
22. GTE A Narac/Vernay/Palttala Imsa Porsche +1:25.904
23. P2 Weeda/Rossiter/Liuzzi Lotus +1:40.976
24. GTE A Krohn/Jonsson/Mediani Krohn Ferrari +1:46.314
25. GTE A Gerber/Griffin/Cioci AF Ferrari +2:21.643
26. P1 Lotterer/Treluyer/Fassler Audi +2:49.150
27. P1 Davidson/Buemi/Sarrazin Toyota +1 lap
28. GTE P Lamy/Stanaway Aston Martin +1 lap
29. GTE A Bornhauser/Canal/Rees Larbre Corvette +2 laps