The Lincolnshire rider went fastest on only his first lap with a one minute 28.577 seconds, followed by Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki’s Shane Byrne, but then the triple champ went one better and clocked a 1:27.777 with over 30 minutes of the session remaining.
Byrne was unable to go quicker, and with twenty minutes left Lowes went even faster to set a 1:27.324. No other rider was able to match his pace during the rather foggy free practice.
Tyco Suzuki’s Josh Brookes was never too far off the Honda and Kawasaki and was one tenths of a second slower than Byrne to finish the session on a provisional front row.
Milwaukee Yamaha’s James Ellison, with minutes left, went from the mid pack to third, but then dropped to fourth fastest when the chequered flag appeared and just managed to lap in the 1:27s.
Brookes’ team-mate PJ Jacobsen retained his good form from yesterday and even though he was unable to lap in the 1:27s still clocked the fifth quickest time followed by Halsall Racing’s Tommy Bridewell.
GBmoto’s Peter Hickman improved his race pace to go seventh on the timesheets. Samsung Honda’s Ryuichi Kiyonari found himself in a BMW sandwich with Buildbase team-mates Jon Kirkham in eighth and James Westmoreland rounding off the top ten, with the Japanese rider ninth quickest.
There was only one faller out on the Lincolnshire circuit, and that was GBmoto’s Dan Linfoot who crashed at Mansfield corner but was unhurt. Rapido Sport’s Matteo Baiocco suffered a technical problem with 60 seconds remaining at Charles.
British Superbike Championship at Cadwell Park - FP3 results:
1. Alex Lowes (Samsung Honda) 1:27.324
2. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +0.453
3. Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) +0.567
4. James Ellison (Milwaukee Yamaha) +0.589
5. PJ Jacobsen (Tyco Suzuki) +0.762
6. Tommy Bridewell (Halsall Racing Kawasaki) +0.766
7. Peter Hickman (Lloyds British GBmoto Honda) +1.310
8. Jon Kirkham (Buildbase BMW) +1.327
9. Ryuichi Kiyonari (Samsung Honda) +1.421
10. James Westmoreland (Buildbase BMW) +1.452