Aprilia and Kawasaki had concluded their work at the Spanish circuit so BMW and Ducati took centre stage with Melandri's effort of 1:40.816 on the BMW Italia S1000RR comfortably the fastest in cold conditions.
That time was somewhat slower than Eugene Laverty's Wednesday best of 1:40.185.
1. Marco Melandri (BMW GoldBet Italia S1000RR) 1:40.816
2. Carlos Checa (Alstare Ducati 1199 Panigale) 1:41.840
3. Chaz Davies (BMW GoldBet Italia S1000RR) 1:42.716
4. Max Neukirchner (MR Ducati 1199 Panigale) 1:44.426
5. Ayrton Badovini (Alstare Ducati 1199 Panigale) 1:44.529
6. Niccolo Canepa (Barni Ducati 1199 Panigale) 1:45.256
7. Eddi La Marra (Barni Ducati 1199 Panigale) 1:45.526