According to Sport Mediaset, the Partenopei have approached Benitez’s former club to enquire after Nigerian Obi Mikel.
Both the player and Napoli are hoping for a loan deal with option to buy, as he has been at Stamford Bridge for seven years.
Obi Mikel has an English passport, which means he won’t take up the non-EU player slot in the squad.
Another transfer target for the Partenopei is Colombian striker Zapata, who had been on the verge of a move to QPR.
According to Sky Sport Italia, Estudiantes accepted the offer, but QPR were forced to reconsider by problems getting him a work permit.
It is therefore possible for Napoli to re-enter the race and snap up 22-year-old Zapata.
Italian media claim Tottenham chief Franco Baldini is in talks with Roma tonight over Erik Lamela and Pablo Daniel Osvaldo.
Both players are due to take part in tonight’s Italy-Argentina international friendly at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome.
According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Roma director general Mauro Baldissoni and director of sport Walter Sabatini flew out to London today.
They are reportedly in a meeting with Tottenham technical director – and former Roma transfer guru – Baldini.
It’s not clear whether they are discussing Lamela, Osvaldo or possibly both, as they have been targets for the London club before.
British media suggest Tottenham have offered £30m for Lamela – approximately €35m.
The 21-year-old Argentina international can play as a winger, a trequartista behind the strikers or as a support striker.
Inter’s Ezequiel Schelotto is convinced he’ll have an international future with Italy even though he’s presently looking for a new club.
The wide player has been made available for transfer by the Nerazzurri, at the request of boss Walter Mazzarri, less than a year after arriving from Atalanta.
“I thank Italy CT Cesare Prandelli for giving me a chance in the blue shirt,” the man who was actually born in Argentina told the Diario Publicable.
“I would have liked a chance at the European Championship last summer, but I will have other opportunities.”
The 24-year-old’s international career currently stands at just the four minutes he was given in an August 2012 friendly loss to England.
Emanuele Calaio has been told to find a new club by Napoli, his representative has confirmed on Wednesday.
The 31-year-old returned to Napoli for his second spell at the Stadio San Paolo in January, but he appeared in just six league games.
“The club have told us that he is not part of their project,” Umberto Calaio, the player’s agent brother, told Radio CRC.
“Obviously he could stay if Napoli change their mind, but sporting director Riccardo Bigon has told me that he is looking for a new striker so a move is likely.”
The former Siena forward remains a wanted man despite his lack of action in 2013 so far.
“There is nothing concrete, but Livorno have pushed to the front of the queue for him,” the representative added. “Genoa have made an enquiry too.
“A move to Torino or Palermo? They are clubs who will have to sell before they can make Napoli an offer for him.”