The Partenopei had a deal worth €12m with Cagliari for Italy international Astori, but it suddenly collapsed this week.
According to Radio Kiss Kiss in Naples, their next target is 27-year-old Belgian Vermaelen.
He suffered from several injury problems last season and is not expected to be fit until late September after a stress fracture.
Nonetheless, he played 47 games in all competition for club and country, scoring one goal.
It remains to be seen whether Arsenal would sell to Napoli, who so famously clashed with the Gunners on the transfer market for Gonzalo Higuain.
English media reports Liverpool have rejected a £10m Napoli offer for Martin Skrtel.
The defender was a target for Partenopei coach Rafa Benitez, who first brought him to Anfield five years ago.
According to the Daily Mirror, Liverpool have turned down the £10m proposal for the 28-year-old.
This is because his teammate Sebastian Coates is out injured for up to six months, so Skrtel is now required.
The Slovakian had also been linked with Manchester City and Zenit.
Liverpool have already done business with Napoli this summer, loaning them goalkeeper Pepe Reina.
With Keisuke Honda still unavailable, Milan are looking to Landon Donovan and Ajax’s Christian Eriksen.
The Rossoneri have an agreement with Honda to join as a free agent in January, but so far attempts to convince CSKA Moscow into an early sale have proved fruitless.
According to reports emerging from America, one of their ‘Plan B’ targets for this summer is LA Galaxy star Donovan.
It would be a return to Europe for the winger, who played for Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich and Everton.
Milan have a good rapport with LA Galaxy, having worked with them in the past to ‘share’ David Beckham during the season.
The other candidate is Ajax midfielder Eriksen, as Dutch newspaper Die Telegraaf claims there is a €10m offer on the table.
There is competition from the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal for the 21-year-old.
It should be noted Milan would only bring in reinforcements if they qualify for the Champions League proper.
The first leg ended 1-1 away to PSV Eindhoven and they won’t know their fate until August 28.
Miralem Pjanic will not be the latest big name player to be leaving Roma this summer, says his agent.
The Giallorossi have already sold Marquinhos, while Pablo Daniel Osvaldo joined Southampton this week.
There is now talk that Erik Lamela and Pjanic may be on their way out, with Tottenham reportedly interested in both.
“Miralem is and will remain a Roma player,” Michele Gerbino informally told Centro Suono Sport. “He will not be sold this summer, absolutely not.”
The 23-year-old midfielder was signed by the Giallorossi in 2011 from French side Lyon for a fee in the region of €11m (£9.3m).
The versatile former Metz player has scored seven goals in 60 games, in all competitions, for the Stadio Olimpico outfit.
Gregory van der Wiel looks to have played his last game for Paris Saint-Germain, with Inter set to make a move for the defender.
Le Parisien claim that the Dutch full-back is at loggerheads with the Ligue 1 champions having been left out of the squad to face Ajaccio at the weekend.
The Netherlands international is apparently desperate to leave Laurent Blanc’s side and will look for a move to Italy or England.
Inter have been heavily linked with the 25-year-old and are in the midst of making enquiries, according to the French paper.
Bologna admit Alessandro Diamanti continues to be of interest to various sides, but they still intend to keep him.
The Italian international has been linked with Milan, Inter and Juventus over the last 12 months.
“Diamanti is liked by a lot of teams,” Bologna director general Roberto Zanzi told Radio CRC on Wednesday.
“He has an important dimension as a player, he’s an Italian international too.
“We made it clear to him that we wanted to keep him and he has given us a helping hand in that regard.
“He is an extraordinary player and it has been some years since we have had someone like him in a Bologna shirt.”
The attacking midfielder, 30, was signed by the Stadio Dall’Ara outfit in 2011 from Bologna. He has scored 17 goals in 69 games for the Rossoblu.
Adem Ljajic has still not signed a contract extension and Fiorentina director Sandro Mencucci admits “all theories are still possible.”
The striker’s current deal expires in June 2014 and the club made it clear he would not be allowed to hold on until he can leave on a free transfer.
Milan have seen a €9m offer rejected, while Atletico Madrid were also linked with the young Serbia international.
“We are close to the end of the transfer session and the conclusion of this saga,” general manager Mencucci told Radio Blu.
“All theories are still possible. Is Ljajic distracted by all this? That is also possible, but I am accustomed to thinking positive.”
It’s reported Duvan Zapata will undergo a Napoli medical after a €5m deal with Estudiantes and the all-clear from Sassuolo.
The Colombian striker has had a chaotic last couple of weeks, as he had agreed terms with QPR only for the English club to abandon the move due to work permit issues.
He then sealed a pre-contract agreement with Sassuolo, but Napoli also agreed a deal with Estudiantes thought to be worth €5m.
According to Sky Sport Italia this evening, Sassuolo have given the all-clear to tear up their agreement so Zapata can undergo his Napoli medical.
“We are very close to concluding the transfer, but there are still some details left,” Estudiantes President Enrique Lombardi told newspaper Diagonales.
“It is a difficult negotiation process directly with the club.”
Inter have officially loaned Diego Laxalt to Bologna as part of the Saphir Taider deal.
As expected, Bologna have agreed personal terms with the Uruguayan midfielder, who already started training with his new teammates on Tuesday.
Inter are now in a co-ownership deal for Taider, while Bologna have Laxalt on loan with an option to buy half his contract at the end of the season.
The news was confirmed by a statement on the official Bologna website.
It has been reported for several weeks that Juventus wing-back Paolo De Ceglie is close to Sunderland, but a deal is now imminent.
De Ceglie can play as a left-back or a wing-back, but has fallen behind in the Bianconeri pecking order and Paolo Di Canio wants to take advantage.
According to Sky Sport Italia, Sunderland’s interest in the 26-year-old has intensified in the last few hours.
De Ceglie made only 18 appearances last season for Juve in all competition, playing a total of 1,109 minutes of football.
He would be reunited with fellow Juve alumni Emanuele Giaccherini, who moved to Sunderland over the summer.
Like Giaccherini, De Ceglie is considered a utility player in Turin and would be available at a relatively low price in the region of £2.8m.