August as Britain knows it appeared to be back in full force at the weekend with rain across the county.
Nowhere appeared to get it worse than London, however, with the day's Ashes play at The Oval abandoned and the Championship football fixture between Charlton and Doncaster being called off at half-time in surreal circumstances.
With a torrential downpour before kick-off rendering the pitch at The Valley seemingly unplayable, the two sides nonetheless kicked off their fixture at 3pm sharp as planned.
It soon descended into farce, however - and newly-promoted Rovers proved the more capable of the two sides to make the most of the situation.
Paul Keegan put the visitors up after just two minutes before Chris Brown helped himself to a quickfire double with the soaked pitch almost worthy of an assist for both, with the ball stopping dead mid-pass.
Though the scoreline was heavily influenced by the conditions, both sides were having to deal with it and thus, it's easy to sympathise with Doncaster manager Paul Dickov, his players and staff and the travelling supporters when play was suspended soon after the third.
It was during this break in the action that Donny players - no doubt wanting to preserve their sizeable lead, no matter what the circumstances - came back out and grabbed pitch forks and giant brooms to try and help get the worst of the water off the grass.
When play was resumed, the Addicks pulled one back through Simon Church and Keegan was sent off for a quick pair of late challenges - again, not helped in the least bit by the slippery conditions - before the game was finally abandoned at half-time (which began about 30 minutes after it should have).
Dickov said of the whole debacle: "I'm disappointed obviously. We were playing some really good stuff, so the referee to suspend play was disappointed.
"Then 15 minutes later it was no worse. Because of the way he has done it it's shambolic.
"As a spectacle my team were fantastic and caused problems. Charlton then started to get the ball down and pass it. I didn't see one bad tackle and both sets of players deserve credit and wanted to continue.
"The referee could have let the game go on longer. I thought we were fantastic for 30 minutes. He should have let play go for as long as he could before half time - once he made the decision to take us off, he put a whole lot of pressure on himself. It's a tough decision for him to make.
"The pleasing thing for me is the more we play the better we get. If it stands and the goals and results don't it has to be the worse decision ever and such a contradiction. It's something we have to look at. "
Addicks boss Chris Powell said: "I think my players responded to the position we were in.
"Who knows what could have happened, but we should never have got ourselves in that position. They showed a bit of bravery.
"I know Paul will be despondent and rightly so as I would if I was in his position. But we were ready to go out.
"There were problems on one side, but there were two teams out there that scored four and I'm sure many of us would say a few years back you would carry on."
Most others tried to make light of a ridiculous situation - including the official Charlton Athletic Twitter feed, whose website editor Iain Liddle was providing live updates of the action:
HALF TIME: Michael Phelps Athletic 1 Ian Thorpe Rovers 3. (IL) #cafc
— Charlton Athletic FC (@CAFCofficial) August 24, 2013
Watching supporters got in on the act, too:
The best news to seemingly come out of the farce for most fans was the hope that such an abandonment would null and void betting accumulators including the game - which many punters included as a home win expecting last year's surprise package in the Championship to win at home to the league's new boys.
Whether or not the scoreline - or Keegan's sending-off - will come into play for the re-arranged fixture remains to be seen. Charlton have confirmed, however, that tickets to the original contest will remain valid.